Maine - Fellowship
NextGen Rising is proud to begin recruitment for our 2020 Fellowship program, the premier organizing, training, and activation program for students working to advance progress in Maine. NextGen Rising is seeking passionate and hardworking individuals to join the 2020 fellowship program, starting in February 2020, that activates young people on the art and science of community and electoral organizing. This fellowship is based in Maine on the following campuses:
- Univ. of New England
- Univ. of Southern Maine
- Univ. of Maine
- Colby College
- Bates College
- Bowdoin College
NextGen Rising Fellows will organize on or off their campuses, and gain skills and experience to build a strong foundation in electoral organizing. NextGen Rising Fellows will spend 15 hours per week working with the NextGen Rising team on turning young people out.
- Hands-on campaign skills such as door knocking, phone banking, text banking and more.
- Collecting commitments to vote
- Conduct direct voter contact in their communities
- Real work experience working on an electoral campaign
- Directly motivate young people to vote in elections
- Some opportunity to pressure existing elected officials and hold them accountable to their policies and votes
- Building out local organizational capacity on-campus and off-campus (depending on where you’re located)
Fellows will be required to attend at minimum:
- Daily to weekly campaign calls with in state staff
- Once-a-week national all staff calls
- In state trainings during the week, and sometimes on weekends, with other fellows
- One-on-one daily to weekly meetings with direct supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong appetite for grassroots organizing and passionate about social change
- Excellent organizational skills
- Flexible working hours
- Driven with a strong work ethic
- Act with high integrity and character
- Previous campaign experience is plus
- Experience using voter databases like VAN is a plus
- Women, people of color, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBTQ, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply
NextGen America offers stipended part-time campaign organizing fellowships for students on campus and activists in the community.
*Each state may have varying start dates for fellowships. This will be shared with you if you are selected for the fellowship program.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.