San Francisco - West Coast Deputy Press Secretary
NextGen America is currently seeking to hire an experienced, detail-oriented communications professional to join our team as the West Coast Deputy Press Secretary. Reporting to the Communications Director, the Press Secretary will serve as an official NextGen America spokesperson and will work across departments to ensure a robust communications program nationally and across 11 states. The ideal candidate must have previous on-the-record experience in issue based political and/or electoral campaigns.
This position will start in January 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer., and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system, and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
- Serve as the on-the-record spokesperson for NextGen America on political and state-specific campaigns
- Develop and implement earned media and communications strategies in coordination with the Communications and press team
- Write and edit press releases, statements, and other communications materials under tight deadlines
- Build and maintain relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers in print, television, online, and radio
- Prepare and staff NextGen America leadership for interviews and press events
- Monitor and analyze the daily news
- Manage the day-to-day press operation of NextGen America in 5-6 states
- Travel on an as-needed basis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a communications field, including at least 1 cycle of on-the-record experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- The ability to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines
- Driven with a strong work ethic
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours
- Previous on-the-record experience in a political or campaign environment is required
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.