Wisconsin - State Press Secretary
NextGen America is seeking a dynamic and creative Wisconsin Press Secretary, who will lead the state’s press strategy, including serving as spokesperson, pitching in-state press, identifying local media narratives, researching in-state media outlets, and updating press lists. The Wisconsin Press Secretary will report to the State Director and coordinate regularly with the San Francisco-based Communications team.
In Wisconsin, this program is focused on organizing young people in targeted cities, regions, and campuses to vote for progressive candidates in elections. Our work engages young voters in actions to hold federal and local office-holders accountable, in voter registration efforts, and in building towards a massive 2020 electoral program. The strongest candidate for this position will have a passion for being part of the youth-led movement to kick Trump out of the White House, take back the Senate from Republicans and elect progressives up and down the ballot.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson on behalf of NextGen Wisconsin.
- Identify and train students and organizers to interface with press.
- Identify press-worthy events and opportunities and work with in-state organizing teams and national communications team to garner in-state press coverage.
- Work with the San Francisco-based communications team to pitch in-state reporters on our activities to earn media coverage.
- Serve as the main point of contact with campus-based reporters and media outlets.
- Help with press advance, including logistics and building of in-state press events.
- Coordinate logistics of interviews and press requests for State Youth Director and other staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in communications or campaigns
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications
- Passion for taking political action and standing up for progressive values and causes
- Strong desire to obtain new skills and take risks to achieve our shared goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
- Excellent team player, creative, and flexible
- Experience with reporters preferred
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package. NextGen America is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.