San Francisco - Research Associate
NextGen America is looking for a Research Associate to support the largest youth organizing program in American history for the 2019/2020 cycle. The Research Associate is responsible for managing and contributing to a number of research projects, including monitoring rapidly developing news-cycles and completing research memos on legislation, individuals, and organizations. The Research Associate is also responsible for fact-checking public-facing information. This position is based in San Francisco, CA. The Research Associate reports to the National Press Secretary.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
- Produce public record research projects on candidates and elected officials, federal and state legislation, organizations, and districts on a tight deadline.
- Monitor and track public policy positions and statements from all relevant persons, organizations, and issues.
- Ensure the accuracy of all internal and external campaign materials including field literature, mail, and digital advertisements.
- Manage the day-to-day research operation of NextGen America in 5-6 states.
- Assist the National Press Secretary and Digital Communications Director to identify data points and research for external communications.
PLEASE APPLY IF YOU ARE:
- Are a political enthusiast who loves to stay on top of current events.
- Can take complex puzzles and turn them into concise and digestible narratives.
- Have great writing skills along with excellent attention to detail.
- Have a passion for progressive politics and the #youthvote.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES DESIRED:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 1-year experience in the political field
- Familiarity with Lexis-Nexis, public records requests, commonly used political databases, and other basic research tasks.
- Sense of humor, ability to have fun, and an interest in working within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work independently and proactively, remain flexible and adaptable as needs and priorities change, and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Eager to learn and scrappy.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills with keen attention to detail.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.