San Francisco - Legal Clerk Internship
NextGen America is currently seeking a full time legal clerk to work in our San Francisco office for summer 2020. First and second year law students with political campaign experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW YOU WILL BENEFIT
- Besides receiving a stipend this position will provide an inside look to the nation’s largest youth voter registration organization.
- The NextGen America Legal Team plays a critical role in the success of our national field program. As part of this team, this position will be helping make a difference in the 2020 election.
- This position will also offer first-hand experience in multiple fields of law including contracts, intellectual property, and political law.
- The clerk will be exposed to campaign finance reporting, coordination rules, and disclaimer requirements, as well as contract negotiation and employment issues.
- Assist with core day-to-day activities of the legal team.
- Provide research to the legal team and NextGen staff on issues related to federal and state campaign finance law, voting rights, lobbying law, gift rules, and other related topics.
- Provide research to the legal team on non-profit organizations, IRS regulations, corporate compliance, and other issues related to corporate and non-profit law.
- Review and revise NextGen’s public communications (including broadcast, digital, and print advertisements) to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Assist with the filing of campaign finance and other compliance reports.
- Assist in the drafting, negotiation, and review of contracts with consultants, contractors, and vendors, and related documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT WE REQUIRE
- Current first or second year students at accredited law schools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications.
- Passion for taking political action through the #youthvote to stand up for progressive values and causes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Creative and flexible.
- Excellent team player.
This will be a full time, paid position for ten (10) weeks during the summer of 2020.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America mobilizes young people to vote in crucial elections to make progress on the issues facing our generation. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by supporting candidates who back climate action. With the values that drive our work on climate under attack from all directions, we’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality. We've registered more than one million young voters nationwide and ran the largest youth vote mobilization program in the country in 2018. We're going even bigger and bolder to drive record young voter turnout for elections in 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.