Virginia - Organizer
NextGen America is seeking passionate and hardworking candidates to join our youth organizing program in Virginia, working to engage young people in electoral politics by electing Democrats up and down the ballot in 2020. NextGen is committed to flipping the White House, the Senate, and state legislatures across the country in 2020. This role will be focused on organizing in one of several regions in Virginia as part of this ambitious effort.
In Virginia, this effort will focus on organizing young people on campuses and the surrounding communities to bring progressive change to government through the ballot box. Our work will engage young voters in voter registration efforts, volunteer recruitment, and pledging young voters to vote. Our 2020 electoral program will include traditional electoral organizing tactics such as door knocking, phone banking, peer-to-peer text banking, and more. Organizers are directly responsible for managing a team of volunteers in their region to hit weekly and phase metric goals.
- Recruit and train a local volunteer team that will organize their networks around progressive issues and in electoral campaigns
- Develop NextGen student clubs on campuses and work with student leaders to run these clubs and host events on campus and online
- Work with college administrations to increase civic participation and voter registration within the campus community
- Plan and host events within the community, on campus, and virtually
- Implement a digital-forward organizing program that includes social media, direct outreach online, and creative tactics to reach voters where they are
- Develop relationships and partnerships with local community and student groups
- Hit defined field goals, including traditional grassroots voter contact, earned media, digital outreach, and event planning and turnout
- Meet all data and field reporting deadlines
- Recruit and manage a team of Fall fellows
- Work with in state communications and digital staff to further state specific strategy
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Weekend and irregular work hours required
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Effective communication in a digital and largely online environment
- Driven by a strong work ethic
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to evolving priorities and manage several tasks simultaneously
- Previous electoral organizing experience a plus
Salary of $4,112.50/month plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Employees in this classification are represented by the Campaign Workers Guild and subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement. This bargaining unit may establish and collect dues from their members independent from NextGen America.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America mobilizes young people to vote in crucial elections to make progress on the issues facing our generation. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by supporting candidates who back climate action. With the values that drive our work on climate under attack from all directions, we’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality. We've registered more than one million young voters nationwide and ran the largest youth vote mobilization program in the country in 2018. We're going even bigger and bolder to drive record young voter turnout for elections in 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system, and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
A NOTE ON COVID19:
During these uncertain times, our organization’s largest priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff. As a result our entire staff is currently working remotely, all of our offices are closed, and our organizing staff has temporarily transitioned away from field work. We have updated relevant job descriptions to reflect our current focus on digital organizing while we follow social distancing guidelines. Please note job duties and the current work from home policy are subject to change as we continue to adjust our program based on the developments of the COVD19 pandemic.