San Francisco - National Organizing and Training Manager
NextGen America is seeking a dynamic and creative political professional to join our organizing program that will engage young people in electing Democrats up and down the ballot in 2020. This role will be focused on providing coaching and support for our organizing program, creating and leading trainings for volunteers and field staff, and act as an HQ-based lead for 6 of our 11 state Organizing Directors. We are looking for someone with significant (2-3 cycles of field management) field-based experience, especially for Get Out The Vote operations. This position is remote for the remainder of the 2020 cycle.
The right candidate will be a grassroots geek. They will have experience in using tried-and-true field tactics and be ready to push the envelope by crafting new ideas for increasing youth engagement in the political process through organizing. Our program will train student leaders on campuses, as well as work to engage non-student young people in cities across the country. Due to COVID-19 our organizing is currently remote.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create training content for national youth organizing programs, including a non-student organizing projects and campus organizing efforts. This work includes voter registration, vote by mail, ballot chase, persuasion, motivation, and GOTV efforts.
- Support state Organizing Directors through weekly calls and 1:1’s.. Coach Organizing Directors on management strategies and the tools needed to fly a plane while it’s being constructed.
- Oversees planning and logistics for national, statewide, and regional webinars and in-person trainings for field managers, organizers, and fellows
- Works closely with the National States Director, Deputy National States Directors, and State Directors to support needs in states.
- Produce field materials to support electoral field campaigns both on- and off-campuses, including phone and texting scripts, social media templates, and “running an event” guides.
- Collaborate with the States Team to share and scale best practices established across states.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2-3 cycles of election campaign experience, including overseeing regional or statewide GOTV efforts.
- Familiarity with relational voting programs.
- Be able to work cross departmentally.
- At least 2 years staff management experience.
- Detail-oriented; able to plan and execute multiple trainings across states.
- Experience leading in-person and web-based trainings.
- Boundless enthusiasm for organizing and a desire to have fun doing it.
- A willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability and appetite for travel at least 25% of the time (if applicable due to COVID).
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience working on student and/or campus organizing programs
- Facilitation and/or coaching certification
- Experience organizing in communities of color and prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.
A NOTE ON COVID19:
During these uncertain times, our organization’s largest priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff. As a result our entire staff is currently working remotely, all of our offices are closed, and our organizing staff has temporarily transitioned away from field work. We have updated relevant job descriptions to reflect our current focus on digital organizing while we follow social distancing guidelines. Please note job duties and the current work from home policy are subject to change as we continue to adjust our program based on the developments of the COVD19 pandemic.