San Francisco - Data Engineer
NextGen America is seeking a Data Engineer to join our team in San Francisco through the 2020 election. The Data Engineer will evaluate and propose engineering solutions and build back-end infrastructure to assist analytics projects. This role is ideal for someone who has worked in or is familiar with campaign data and is eager to tackle automation, pipeline, and long-term, complex data projects. The ideal candidate is self-motivated and excited to identify and solve problems to improve data systems. They will work across a diverse array of project tasks and actively build cross-departmental buy-in to implement solutions. This position reports to the Data & Analytics Director. Remote candidates are encouraged to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
- Design, build, manage, and automate data pipelines from multiple data sources, including VAN, voterfile data, and other vendor data
- Manage collaboration across departments and engage stakeholders from various HQ and state teams
- Create efficiencies by automating jobs, processes, emails using Python, APIs, etc.
- Acquire, process, and clean messy datasets and pdfs, including webscraping, ETLs, and text processing packages
- Support state programs and HQ departments by developing data and tech processes, webapps, and other solutions
- Ensure database reliability, security, and performance. Help analysts and other users optimize code and processing
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Mastery of SQL, Python, and other relational or scripting languages
- Experience successfully executing data engineering projects or engineering-focused analysis
- Prefer at least one cycle of campaign experience or experience with political data but not required
- Experience working with data pipelines, data wrangling, and APIs
- Solid analytical reasoning and methods and high attention to detail; familiarity with modeling and predictions
- Advanced Excel/ Sheets proficiency
- Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Mastery of VAN or a similar CRM
- Using and building API integration
- Scripting, scraping, automation
- Statistical programming languages like Stata, R, Python
- Data visualization using Tableau or similar program
- GIS/ mapping, geocoding
- Political data, modeling, and experiments
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.
A NOTE ON COVID19:
During these uncertain times, our organization’s largest priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff. As a result our entire staff is currently working remotely, all of our offices are closed, and our organizing staff has temporarily transitioned away from field work. We have updated relevant job descriptions to reflect our current focus on digital organizing while we follow social distancing guidelines. Please note job duties and the current work from home policy are subject to change as we continue to adjust our program based on the developments of the COVD19 pandemic.