National - Fellowship
NextGen America is proud to begin recruitment for our 2020 Fall Fellowship program, the premier organizing, training, and activation program for students working to lead the youth wing of the Resistance to Donald Trump that will propel us to victory in November 2020. NextGen America is seeking passionate and hardworking individuals to embark on a nearly 12-week* fellowship program, starting in August, that activates young people on the art and science of community and electoral organizing. This fellowship runs in each of our eleven target states: Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
NextGen America Fellows will organize on or off their campuses, both digitally and on the ground, and gain skills and experience to build a strong foundation in electoral organizing. NextGen America Fellows will spend 15 hours per week working with the NextGen America team on turning young people out for the election:
- Hands-on campaign skills such as door knocking, phone banking, text banking and more.
- Run a classroom presentation program to educate students on voter registration, vote by mail, and voting on campus.
- Hit weekly metric goals assigned by state leadership.
- Help elect Democratic candidates up and down the ballot.
- Using digital and online tactics to engage students where they’re at, including your own social media to recruit volunteers and register people to vote.
- Engaging in digital organizing and outreach techniques, including social media and relational voting outreach tools
- Recruiting and training volunteers.
- Working with campus administrations to make voting more accessible.
- Collecting voter registration and commitments to vote, through creative digital outreach and, where appropriate and safe, in person engagement
- Conduct direct voter contact in their communities, using both online and offline outreach tactics
- Directly motivate young people to vote in elections
- Some opportunity to pressure existing elected officials and hold them accountable to their policies and votes
- Building out local organizational capacity on-campus and off-campus (depending on where you’re located)
Fellows will be required to attend at minimum:
- Daily to weekly campaign calls with in-state staff
- Once-a-week national all staff calls
- In-state trainings during the week, and sometimes on weekends, with other fellows
- One-on-one daily to weekly meetings with direct supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong appetite for grassroots organizing and passionate about social change
- Strong writing skills, in both social media outreach and formal written communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excitement about the 2020 Election and support for progressive change
- Flexible working hours
- Driven with a strong work ethic
- Act with high integrity and character
- Previous campaign experience is plus
- Experience using voter databases like VAN is a plus
NextGen America offers a $1,050 a month stipend. This is a part-time campaign organizing fellowships for students on campus and activists in the community.
*Each state may have varying start dates for fellowships. This will be shared with you if you are selected for the fellowship program.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America acts politically to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity, and protect the fundamental rights of every American. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by advancing the transition to a clean energy economy. We’ve supported candidates who support climate action. We’ve fought to halt the Keystone XL pipeline and registered more than 1 million voters nationwide. Now, the same values that drive our work on climate are under unprecedented attack from all directions. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality.
A NOTE ON COVID19:
During these uncertain times, our organization’s largest priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff. As a result our entire staff is currently working remotely, all of our offices are closed, and our organizing staff has temporarily transitioned away from field work. We have updated relevant job descriptions to reflect our current focus on digital organizing while we follow social distancing guidelines. Please note job duties and the current work from home policy are subject to change as we continue to adjust our program based on the developments of the COVD19 pandemic.