Virginia - VA- Organizing Director
NextGen America is seeking a dynamic and creative political professional to join our youth organizing program, that will engage young people in local and national fights to prevent climate disaster, promote prosperity for all Americans, and expand access to the ballot box for young Americans. This role will manage our field team in Virginia as part of this ambitious effort.
In Virginia, this effort will focus on organizing young people to be politically active through voting, organizing, and taking action. To accomplish this we will train, support, and develop volunteer leaders on campuses across the state. Our work will engage young voters in the state legislative process, in actions to hold federal and local office-holders accountable, in voter registration efforts, and in building towards a massive 2020 electoral program. In addition, this role will manage Regional Organizing Directors with teams on and off campus and will report to the State Director. This role is located in Virginia.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
- Manage field organizers in a statewide campus and off campus youth voter engagement program that will train volunteers in electoral campaigning and advocacy.
- Hold regional organizing directors and organizers accountable to metrics and goals; ensure timely and accurate data and field reporting from field staff
- Develop and implement trainings for staff and volunteers.
- Give input on which local and state issues and campaigns for opportunities to engage in.
- Support the State Director to develop and execute campaign plans and effective organizing tactics.
- Work with the state Operations Director to support field team.
- Work within state and HQ data teams to develop tools to track field progress.
- Work within state and HQ communications teams to tell the story of the youth vote program.
- Develop and maintain relationships with young activists around the state and identify opportunities to partner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3-4 years of field organizing and managing organizers and volunteers
- Very well organized; excellent written, verbal and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and outside organizations and be able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to foster a cooperative, team-oriented work environment
- Previous youth organizing experience not required, but a strong a plus
- Experience working with VAN or Votebuilder is required. EveryAction experience a plus.
- Experience with both issue and electoral organizing
- Experience organizing in communities of color and prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
- Experience working on youth organizing programs
- Experience on one or more campaigns in Virginia at the local or state level
Salary of $5,512.50/month plus a comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America mobilizes young people to vote in crucial elections to make progress on the issues facing our generation. Since our founding as NextGen Climate in 2013, we’ve worked to fight climate change by supporting candidates who back climate action. With the values that drive our work on climate under attack from all directions, we’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, prosperity, and equality. We've registered more than one million young voters nationwide and ran the largest youth vote mobilization program in the country in 2018. We're going even bigger and bolder to drive record young voter turnout for elections in 2020.
A NOTE ON COVID19:
During these uncertain times, our organization’s largest priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our staff. As a result our entire staff is currently working remotely, all of our offices are closed, and our organizing staff has temporarily transitioned away from field work. We have updated relevant job descriptions to reflect our current focus on digital organizing while we follow social distancing guidelines. Please note job duties and the current work from home policy are subject to change as we continue to adjust our program based on the developments of the COVD19 pandemic.