Virginia Primary Election Guide
The Virginia Democratic Presidential Primary Election is March 3.
In 2020, NextGen Virginia will work to ensure Virginia stays blue by sending our 13 electoral votes to the Democratic presidential nominee.
The deadline to register to vote for the primary is February 10. You can register to vote online, in-person, or by mail. For more information, click here.
Registered voters may request a mail-in absentee ballot online by 5:00 p.m. on February 25. Voters may also cast an in-person absentee ballot at their local registrar’s office from January 18 through February 29. For more information, click here.
On Election Day, you will need to bring with you ONE of the following:
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Valid Virginia DMV issued Veteran’s ID card
- Valid United States Passport
- Other government-issued photo identification cards (must be issued by US Government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or a political subdivision of the Commonwealth)
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal ID issued by one of 11 tribes recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Valid college or university student photo identification card (must be from an institution of higher education located in Virginia)
- Valid student ID issued by a public school or private school in Virginia displaying a photo
- Employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer’s business
If you do not bring ID with you, you can still vote! You can cast a provisional ballot on Election Day and then will be asked to provide proper identification by noon the Friday following the election.
For more information about what to bring to the polls, click here.
Triple Your Impact
Make sure your friends and family are ready to vote, too!